Gender Studies Curriculum: A Step for Democracy and Peace in EU-neighboring countries with different traditions 561785-EPP-1-2015-1-LT-EPPKA2-CBHE-JP
Project acronym: GeSt
Project web-site: http://gestproject.eu/
Project duration: 15 October 2015 – 14 October 2018
Grant holder: Vytautas Magnus University, Lithuania
Project goals: Implementation of the set of curricula in the field of social and behavioral sciences updated with gender issues in countries with different traditions for improving the level of understanding gender problems in society and methods of their solutions.
Specific project objectives are:
- Developed theoretical and practical basis of innovative teaching methods and approaches for trainings in Gender Studies (GS).
- Improved the understanding of the problematic of gender education and to acquire the necessary experience and skills of teaching staff.
- Prepared the first qualified graduates as social science researchers, who will have a wide range of methodological and epistemological approaches to Gender Studies.
- Vytautas Magnus University/ (Lithuania);
- Aristotle University of Thessaloniki (Greece);
- Central European University (Hungary);
- Sidi Mohammed Ben Abdellah University (Morocco);
- The Sultan Moulay Slimane University (Morocco);
- Manouba Universit y (Tunisia);
- University of Sousse (Tunisia);
- Kirovohrad Volodymyr Vynnychenko State Pedagogical University (Ukraine);
- Nizhyn Mykola Gogol State University (Ukraine);
- Vasyl Stefanyk Precarpathian National University (Ukraine).
Project fulfillment: Department of Social Psychology, Philosophical Faculty
- Created Master’s program in gender studies – “Social Psychology. Gender Studies” (http://magpsychol.pu.if.ua/ );
- Updated course “Gender in Psychology”;
- Developed 2 new courses “Gender Theory”, “Gender and Career” (http://magpsychol.pu.if.ua/ );
- Computer class has been established for students of the MA in gender studies and for needs of the Faculty;
- Launched Moodle electronic platform for distance learning and testing of Master’s students (http://magpsychol.pu.if.ua/);
- Textbooks “Gender Theory”, “Gender and Career”, “Guidelines for writing master’s theses” were prepared; Gender studies: base of test tasks in specialization disciplines; Collection of materials: Programs of gender studies in Ukrainian universities.
- In order to strengthen academic staff’s competence in the area of gender studies, MA programs development as well as curricula due to European standards, application of innovative teaching and learning methods university teachers within the project were involved in international scientific and pedagogical trainings:
- “Regional features of the implementation of Master’s program in Gender Studies” – Central European University (Budapest, Hungary) 23-26 / 01/2017;
- “Interdisciplinary Master’s Programs for Multicultural Audiences” – Vytautas Magnus University (Kaunas, Lithuania) 03-07 / 07/2017
- “Psycho-pedagogical aspect of Gender Studies” – Aristotle University of Thessaloniki (Thessaloniki, Greece) 25-30 / 06/2018
- University teaching staff took part in international schools, where they gained experience in interdisciplinary approaches of gender issues teaching, attended lectures performed by leading professors of partner universities:
- International School “Gender Studies: Teaching, Studying and Learning” – October 2016 (Sousse, Tunisia);
- International School on Gender Studies – October 2017 (Manouba, Tunisia);
- International School “Gender Studies: Teaching, Learning and Studying” – March 2017 (Ivano-Frankivsk, Ukraine) at the Vasyl Stefanyk Precarpathian National University with representatives of from each project partner University, academic staff of the Faculty of Philosophy and students of the MA program “Social Psychology. Gender Studies “.
- University academic staff participated in international conferences, workshop and forum:
- International Conference “Gender Identities and Education” – May 2016 (Beni Mellal, Morocco);
- II International Conference “Gender Studies: Learning, Research and Practice” and Workshop for young researchers “Gender Studies: Education, Gender Equality, Democracy, Peace” – April 2018 (Kyiv, Ukraine) with the attendance not only academic staff, but also students of the MA programs in “Gender Studies”;
- International Forum “The Role of Academia in Promoting “Gender and Women’s Rights in the Arab World and the European Region” – October, 2018 (Fes, Morocco).
- Participants of the project working academic group organized a number of events for teachers of the department, faculty and students sharing experience gained within the project.